This is in line with the Argyll and Bute Outcome Improvement Plan and Argyll and Bute Economic Strategy as well as numerous Scottish Government plans including the National Plan for Scotland’s Islands.
This project will deliver:
- One building that will be divided into two separate units; one workshop unit of 67m2 and a further 67m2 of studio / office space.
- New business space in the centre of Scalasaig, the main population centre on Colonsay and a Key Settlement as identified in the Local Development Plan;
- Provide a range of business premises, and possibly storage options, for new and expanding businesses;
- Create local employment during the construction phase and other economic benefits;
- Support longer term sustainability of indigenous businesses;
- Provide for small business expansion;
- Increase business networking by clustering – leading to greater economic opportunities;
- Create new employment opportunities;
- Create the opportunity for business start-up;
- Provide opportunities to retain young people on island and help reverse the ageing population.
By attracting younger, economically active people to stay or relocate to Colonsay, we envisage that in combination with the housing project this development will be the start of a new period of growth and regeneration for our island.